Sunday, October 14, 2007

Galveston - Paul Quarrington


A past nominee for the Giller prize (short listed), I started this book with high expectations of finding some sort of unknown treasure in it's pages. I finished this book feeling ambivalent.

The story follows a small group of people, some local, some "weather weenies", during the onslaught of a strong hurricane on a small island. Sprinkled with comic descriptions, and tender moments, this book follows the age old theme of a mix-matched group of ordinary people, in extraordinary circumstances. While I cannot say I disliked the book, I did find it unmemorable.
In all fairness, I was somewhat distracted by the general issues of my life while reading this, but I can't imagine recommending this book to anyone with any real enthusiasm.

No comments: