Sunday, October 14, 2007

Life on the Refigerator Door - Alice Kuipers


With all the attention this book was generating, I was thoroughly intrigued. I picked up a copy from the bookstore by work when I ended up taking a last minute double shift, and needing reading material for my breaks, realized I had left the book I was reading at home. Since so many people had mentioned reading it in one sitting, or one day, it seemed like the perfect diversion. I finished the last of it that night in bed.

If one could measure emotion to word ratio, this book would come up high on the scale! It left me thinking how lucky I was - to have survived that period of my life, where babysitting and friends and fashion, seemed to come before my very own family - without suffering such an ordeal.

I know many people have commented on how the mother's character was not as evolved. It seems to me, that in the early part of the book she was all about her busy career (which is part of the reason the notes started), in the middle part of the book she is holding back, trying not to worry claire, and in the end of the book too ill to be a particularly "active" character. To me, her lack of depth was a part of the story, not a flaw. In my opinion, the story was about Claire.

Although sad, I quite enjoyed this book!

No comments: