Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer

An excellent book

A sad but true story of a young man who embarks on an adventure, into the wilds of Alaska, only to die alone.

Krakauer does a superb job of telling Chris McCandless' story. Not only are his narratives artful and vivid, but his research of McClandless is so complete, you feel not only that Krakauer knew him, but you did as well. Krakauer is himself an adventurer, and his own experiences add to the overall feeling of the book, as well as add some insights that could only come from another who has truly experienced similar adventures.

I have not yet seen the movie, but fully intend to, I will amend this review at that time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Teenie:

I found Into the Wild a fascinating story too. I think we've all had days where we've fantasized about living a simpler life and being more in touch with the land, nature and our spiritual side.

I noticed "Life of Pi" was on your must read list. If you enjoyed Into the Wild I think you'll really find Life of Pi, a great book as well.

Another book in the same vein is "The Places in Between" by Rory Stewart. It's about this English government worker who walks across Afghanistan right after the Taliban have been ousted from the country. It's another man-against-nature read, that is very engrossing. I discovered this book on a book social site called www.juicespot.ca. I found a lot of new reading ideas there. You might want to add it as a link. I included the url for you.

Christine said...

Thanks for the comment Lovetoread. I took a quick look at juicespot.ca, and I will definitely have to spend some time on that site later!

"The Places in Between" does sound interesting. I think I will put it on my want to read list.