Thursday, February 14, 2008

Of Mice and Men - Jon Steinbeck

This of course, is a long time classic. A very short, but very good book.

I am convinced that the classics should be read as adults, and not as teenagers. In my youth, I would have not really appreciated this story in the proper way.

There is little for me to say about the story-line in this book. Even if like me, you haven't read it before, you have heard enough about it to know the basics. Even knowing that, it still brought tears to my eyes as I read the last pages.

This book does find itself on the lists of banned and challenged books. While there are racist terms, there is no racist message to the book. While there is violence, it is not overly graphic and does not promote a message of violence. Once again, this is a result of zealots who refuse to examine the work, in it's entirety, in the context of the time and place in which it is set, or was written. I think society would be better served to just ban the zealots instead!

No comments: